Although your beach days are dwindling, your memories don’t have to! With this kid craft you can hang on to some of those seashell “treasures” that you found AND have fun with your little one!
2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, ½ cup of lukewarm water, seashells (painted or fresh from the beach), a baking pan, and an oven.
- Pour the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the water into your dry mixture. Blend until the dough becomes tacky. (add more water if necessary)
- Now that the prep work is done, hand it over to your little one and let them start molding the dough!
Depending on which picture you would like to make you will need to shape the dough accordingly. (Having a hard time deciding? Don’t worry! Just make all 3. You will have more than enough dough!)
Make a hand print: Roll the dough into a ball. Now, apply some pressure to the top, so that it becomes flat. If the circle is to small to fit your child’s hand just add some dough to make the circle larger. Once that’s complete take your child’s hand and push it into the dough!
Make a paper weight: Roll the dough into a ball, and apply just enough pressure to give it a flat bottom.
Make a picture holder: Roll the dough so that it’s long and skinny. Mine is 6”wide by 2” thick. Take a thick piece of paper (postcard, pizza menu..etc.) and push down about ¾ into the dough to create a crease. Just make sure you don’t push all the way through!
- Now that you have the shape it’s time to decorate! Put the seashells on the table and let your little one start sticking them on the dough.
- Once you are happy with the results, give the shells a little push to ensure that they are secured.
- Put your decorated doughballs onto a baking sheet, and place in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Depending on the thickness you may need to bake for 2 hours, just keep an eye on them. Just like cookies you want them to be slightly brown and hard enough to hold its shape.
- Let it cool and you are done!!
That’s it, you are done!
(this article also appeared in South Jersey MOM Magazine)