Are you working on your weekly dinner menu? Yes?! Me too!
If you’re stuck on meal ideas why not make a Chicken Roaster one night and then Chicken Chimichanga’s using the leftovers. That is, if you are in the mood for super simple, yet delicious Mexican food!
I found the initial recipe at Allrecipes.com (I love that site), and with just a few tweaks based off of the other reviews it was PERFECT!
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 small jar of salsa
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1lb cooked shredded chicken (I used leftover chicken roster)
- 1 can re-fried beans
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 5 (10 inch) flour tortillas (or whatever tortillas you have on hand)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- Shred your chicken (I did as I pulled from the leftover chicken, you just want manageable chunks.. not diced!)
- Warm up the olive oil in a pan, add chicken, salsa, water, and all of the spices. Mix together and warm.
- Slightly grease a baking pan.
- Spoon an equal amount of refried beans down the center of each tortilla, top with equal amount of chicken mixture. Fold tortillas over filling and tuck. Arrange seam side down so they don’t open. (the whole thing doesn’t need to be rolled, just enough to keep it closed). I could fit 5 in my baking dish (hence the 5 tortillas). Lightly rub olive oil over the tops of them.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. They should turn golden brown and lightly crisp.
So here you go.. one fool proof leftover chicken chimichanga. Enjoy!