I LOVE big, over the top parties. But unfortunately my bank account doesn’t. So party planning for me requires a few extra strategic steps. So if you like to throw pinterest worthy parties on a budget… this post is for you!
- First, you need a theme. So go pin like crazy!
- Once you know HOW you want your party to look, now you need to figure out the logistics. (Where are you holding the party, how many kids, what’s your budget…)
- Time to pick your focal points! You only need a few heavily decorated areas to make a big impact. If you spread the decorations out, you will lose the BIG impact (trust me!)
- Decorations – stick to your theme, and make sure the colors match! I find it helps to purchase items from only one or two places, so that everything matches up nicely. I bought majority of my stuff at Oriental Trading. (oh and you should know that they even have Disney license merchandise!)
- Party Favors – make sure it’s cute and themed! After all.. it’s the last impression!
- Little Finishing Touches – quirky names for the food, centerpiece for the table, pretty cake or in my case just fluff up the cake stand!
Here.. see what I am talking about!
Photo Back Drop
Cake/Cake Stand (I bought 2 dozen mini cupcakes for the kids, one large cupcake for Jo and then taped tulle strips to a Styrofoam cupcake tower..in total it was under $15)
And then there are the fun little extras! Like… a centerpiece
maybe even a real life Princess!
We had Princess Ariel swim over so that the kids would have a little surprise fun. But typically I just set up the little tykes bounce house, a couple baby pools, water/sand table and lots of balls were out to play with!
And we aren’t done yet folks.. now we need to talk Party Favors! And you have two options. Give a pre-packaged bag of little goodies OR make your own assortment. I’m a big fan of making my own (go figure, right?) But the reason being.. it carries out the theme and has more substance.
Now at first glance, they look nice and expensive right? But they really weren’t it’s just the overall “package”. So like everything else… think about the presentation. Start off by going to Oriental Trading’s website, search for something in your theme, and just keep clicking around. My favorite function on their site is the You May Like Bar that’s underneath the product.. that helps me find similar goods! Mix and match goodies (make sure you look at sizes), have it shipped to your house, and assemble! And don’t forget to fluff up your gifts with tissue paper!! Think like you did in the 80’s…. volume is your friend!!
Hope today’s post was helpful! If you throw a BIG PARTY on a LITTLE BUDGET I’d love to see some of your pictures!
This review is based strictly on my opinion. Others may have a different opinion or experience with the product listed above. I was provided the sample free of charge by Oriental Trading. No other type of compensation was received for this review.